This is the most satisfying and indulgent, eat-the-whole-bowl-and-don’t-feel-bad food that I know of. And it’s sooo easy to make; especially if you use pre-washed cauliflower. (I’m not a huge fan of having to soak and de-bug the cauliflower myself!)
My first Thanksgiving as a Weight Watcher, I remember being impressed and amazed at the “Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes” that everyone was making at the time.
As you must know by now, I’m a total curry-head, so this is my take on that old recipe, with an Indian twist. Unfortunately, Indian food is often laden with fat and calories, and traditional Cauliflower Bhaje (my fav) can set you way back in points. It also takes time to develop flavors, and purchasing and toasting all the different spices can be expensive and time consuming. This is a super-easy way to get a curry fix, without breaking the PointsPlus bank!
Warning: I was banned from making it in our house because of the stench of the cauliflower cooking in the microwave (our house really retains cooking smells)… but I figure that’s better than my husband having to listen to me whine and moan about my big butt!!
On a more serious note—I’ve realized that I have to go back to taking care of myself and making and preparing the foods that keep me satisfied and in control. It makes me feel better about myself, and then I am a better wife and mother.
That’s the ONLY thing I miss from my single days—I could cook and eat whatever I wanted!
Fat-Free, Mashed Cauliflower Curry
- 12 oz bag cauliflower florets pre-washed (recommended: Trader Joe's)
- ½ - 1 teaspoon curry powder depending on how spicy you like it
- 1 teaspoon chicken flavor soup and recipe mix recommended: Telma
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- pinch of sugar
- few pinches of table salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper about two turns
- Microwave cauliflower in the bag for about 4 minutes, following package directions, until very tender. Leave it to steam in the bag while you assemble the other ingredients.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in a measuring cup.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a large bowl so that you can easily mash it. Pour the curry mix over the cauliflower and mash with a potato masher to desired texture. Mix well with a spoon to combine ingredients evenly.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt or more curry powder to your taste. Serve in your favorite bowl and enjoy! (Microwave for a 30 seconds if you like it piping hot like me!)